Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Conundrum of the Year

I have a serious question, but it's going to sound racist. So I want to make this very, very, very clear up front: I AM NOT RACIST! I'm serious: I'm NOT a racist. That said, here's the post.

Why does it seem that, per capita, more 19-26 year old Russians own BMWs than any other group of people? I went to the Safeway on Main this evening. In case you didn't know, there is a Russian church right across the road and they have service quite late in the evening on Sundays. They also direct their overflow parking to the side lot at Safeway. I parked on the same side and I swear it was like I was on the showroom and Kuni BMW in Beaverton. I actuall counted and there were 12 cars on that side, and 5 of them were BMWs. Now, I can't say for sure that they were all going to the Russian church or that they were all driven by young people, but I will tell you this: I saw two of the BMWs park while I was getting out of my car, and and one was being driven by a girl who looked to be about 19 and the other was a dude that looked like he was maybe 23. Oh, and they both went over to the church.

Seriously: I want to know how that works! It is one of those things that just appear to be a majority but isn't really once you crunch the numbers? Because it seems to be the case - at least around here. Once you get to Lake Oswego or Oregon City the numbers change, but here in Vancouver and North Portland it really seems to be the case. When I was at TJ Maxx there was a 18 year old Russian girl that worked for us as a part timer. She worked an average of 20 hours a week at $7.25/hr, but she drove a three year old 525i with after market rims. I mean, she lived with her parents for free, but the insurance alone had to be over $500/mo!

I really don't get it. And I want to know because I want a BMW for myself. I want to drive a sweet 7-series on a super low salary. In fact, given my salary, I'll bet that Gina and I could each have a Beamer and we could still put aside a bunch of cash for Audrey's college fund.

It's like advanced calculus: I just don't understand it.

Again, I want to be VERY clear that I don't intend anything negative toward or about Russians. I've known some really awesome Russians......who drove sweet cars.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

The only Portland area Russian I know drives an ancient Nissan, so I can't help you on your theory.

As for sounding racist, is Russian even a race? It's a nationality, but I don't think it qualifies as a race, so I don't know if you could be called racist even if you were saying mean, hateful things about Russians. Maybe predjudiced, but not technically racist. But you weren't saying hateful things, so it's a moo point. (Yeah, I like Friends, too.)

arwen said...

I know why. Next time I see you in person, I'll tell you.

and I'm completely serious right now.

G-- excellent use of "Moo Point"